Pages

6 July 2015

Nightmare in the Flat


back when I was in Australia...

I stayed in Sydney nearly 3 months and half of that time I lived somewhere without my parents for the first time ever and it didn't exactly go as expected. While I don't regret it at all it could definitely have run smoother. 

I'd been in Sydney for a few weeks, Christmas was coming up, and my plan was to stay there for quite a while still, so instead of staying at hostels the entire time I started looking for a share flat. There's plenty of flats to choose from but most of them either stink, house 20 people, or is just way too expensive for a backpacker's budget.

Hostel prices were sky high just around Christmas so I suddenly really urgently needed to find a place to live. That meant that I was rushing around on the 23rd looking at flats to find one that was decent and cheap. I saw about 4 different ones that day and just went for one that seemed alright and basically moved in within an hour. Turns out my roommates were 3 Italian guys, 3 German girls, and a Scottish guy - all seemed really nice! I especially got along really well with one of the German girls - who I later traveled up the east coast with - and the Scot.

One of the Italian guys - lets call him N - was especially chatty, really nice, and always said something to bring people in a good mood (even with his limited English abilities) and everybody seemed to like him. So I was really surprised when my Scottish roommate pulled me aside one morning after having lived together for a few weeks to tell me that he'd been lying awake that night and seen N get out of his bed to sneak over to one of the other Italian guys' bed, grab his shorts, take out his wallet, and go through it, which obviously made the Scottish guy tell him off and N was quickly back in his bed.

When we told the guy whose wallet it was, there was a lot of really loud yelling in Italian. Eventually the landlord (pretty miserable one at that to be honest) was called over and he promised that he'd kick out N and find another place for him to stay. Took about a week for that to actually happen, and that week was by far the worst in the flat: people were constantly fighting with N who'd, to be fair, turned into a bit of a twat and got really aggressive quite often, destroying furniture and threatening people.

We were all pretty relieved when he finally moved out - although thanks to our lovely landlord he was moved to the flat next to ours and we'd constantly run into him in the hallway.
Although my first experience with moving out from home was a bit of a disaster I wouldn't have been without it and I'm still very open to the idea of living in a share flat in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, det bliver et minde for livet ;-) Men bortset fra den lidt turbulente start, så håber jeg, at du kom glimrende ud af det med dine samboer den resterende tid! Jeg tror helt bestemt, at det er godt for første-gangs-udeboende at bo sammen med andre, enten i delelejlighed eller kollegie - man lærer virkelig meget af hinanden, om at acceptere andre og gå på kompromis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ja helt sikkert, og på en eller anden måde er jeg også glad for oplevelsen! :-D

      Delete

Hey you! Thanks for stopping by! x